Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Relating Rhizome affect to my practice

In my earlier education, I was told that the basic fundamentals are like building blocks/foundation on which higher studies are carried out.  I always considered learning in the form of a building. However, it feels very strange when I consider my learning in a Rhizome structure. Although it makes sense and I am wondering why I never thought about it earlier.
Now that Adesola has enlightened us to look at our learning carefully, I have started nurturing my ideas that manifest during a term and then connecting those ideas with my professional practice. After reading her blog about theory framework and ethics in research, keeping the rhizomatic perspective  I am able to connect the process of learning from module one to module two, by identifying my area of learning, engaging in research work I am noticing that experience of learning about research methodology is a process of personal growth, this growth is beyond what I could chart out in everyday reality, though these don't fit into neat knowledge, ironically in this process, I experience a bit of awe and bit of overwhelming situation as I start connecting things by developing awareness, developing knowledge, challenging the timeline for completing research as ideas change in flux. I found this interesting which relates to how knowledge is acquired.
In 1976, Walker Percy wrote a book called 'The message in the bottle', in this Percy conceptualizes the delta factor using Helen Keller's story while conducting research he poured water over Helen's hand and repeatedly signed the word water into her hand. Percy theorized that this action was more than cause and effect because Helen keller received more than the signifier(the Sign for water) and reference (water itself). Thus, Percy created a triadic relationship between water,(word) water(liquid) and Helen herself who was acting as an agent to bridge word and substance eventually the ideas was to build knowledge (human intelligence).  So, learning process( Rhizomatic) where a qualitative approach is opted and by allowing research to go where it leads and take us where it goes creates a path.  This different way of framing our research has helped open up new perspectives on our educational journey.

This clarifies that doing research relates to rhizome effect where our learning process is connected to various shoots like an area of research, deciding the positivist or non-positivist approach, research methods, participants who are engaged in creating meaning-making, self- awareness, ethical considerations and its effect on personal and professional practice. Deleuze & Guattrai (1987) suggests that identity as a teacher is not separate from living as a researcher, as each day teacher interprets new learning.

References Deal, W. E., & Beal, T. K. (2004). Theory for religious studies. New York, NY:
Becoming Rhizome Researchers   43

Reconceptualizing Educational Research Methodology 2013, 4(1) http://journals.hioa.no/index.php/rerm