Friday, 10 March 2017

Exploring Postivist approach

It is generally accepted that research is based on several interconnected philosophical assumptions. The ideas presented in various literature have changed my way of looking at philosophy and the historical transmission. Further, they have disclosed the possibility of considering classical philosophical problems in a fresh perspective.

I have learned that unpacking assumptions are not as simple as I thought. It gets intellectually tricky. I assumed that I begin with a research question than shop around for the kinds of research approach that best allows me to answer that questions. Only later I realized that starting with research question begins in the middle and I ignored the fundamental necessity of taking the deep look at the belief systems. I had never thought so deeply about positive and non-positive approach. This is what I noticed.
Positive paradigm emphasizes that real and factual happenings could be studied and observed scientifically and empirically and could be elucidated by way of rational investigation and analysis.This positive research approach is something like micro-level experimentation in a lab like setting that can do away with the intricacy of the outside world. The results and outcomes gotten by means of experiment method give important insights and knowledge into the natural world of realism and truth.
Positivism is a strong approach as it affirms the value of science and maintain a strong distinction between true and false, however, positivism fails to acknowledge the cultural, political and social factors that get in between the observer and the truth. It claims that what is True can be verified by science and logical proof, rest everything is either false or meaningless.For example, Positivist are like atheists they don't believe in the existence of God, science cannot demonstrate the existence of God. 
Hope what I have understood makes sense.